R U OK? Day
Today we would like to bring your attention to R U OK? Day.
R U OK? Day is part of World Suicide Prevention week where we focus on items that can help reduce suicide.
R U OK? Day is an opportunity to consider making contact with a friend or colleague who you may feel is doing it a little tough and could benefit from a friendly call.
Here are some alarming suicide facts:
- Did you know that today alone over 2,100 people will commit suicide around the world. That’s over 750,000 people a year.
- In the US, over 45,000 people will die from suicide and men are 3.5 times more likely to die than women.
- Suicide is the single largest killer of men in Australia aged 15–44.
- In Canada men aged 40–59 years are the highest risk of suicide.
- Suicide in Singapore rose by 10% last year and is at an all-time high for boys aged 10–19.
Research has found that a simple call from a friend call can help.
If you feel as though you need to talk to someone:
- In the USA, you can call the National Lifeline on 1-800-273-8255
- In Canada, you can call the Suicide Prevention Service on 1-833-456-4566
- In Australia, you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14
- In Hong Kong, you can call Samaritans Suicide Prevention hotline: +852 2896 0000
If for any reason you are feeling distressed and do not want to call these services then you can always call me on +61 400 360 439.